BG

Monday 24 March 2014

Our Journey - 一路走来,还好有你。

Initially, I wanted to blog about how goguma, the guy in the photo below, have been destroying my studio since our time in clarke quay till now city square mall.=p

However, the more I look thrus the photos, of the past and present, the more I feel grateful and thankful, that I have got a bunch of spontaneous, caring and sweet students in Natasha Studio.



Here is how Natasha Studio got started and why is the studio call Natasha.=)



When larry (back then my bf), and I first started dating, both him and I had a dream, a dream of having a place to call our own and pursue our passion - bboying and beatboxing together,
Thus Natasha Studio is born.

Larry is my pillar of support, working hard in the frontline while I am his pillar of strength, supporting him behind his back, comforting him and giving him moral support.
And ultimately, larry's vision was to educate, nurture and give back to the scene, he was from.

But honestly speaking,
It wasnt easy at all=).

Year 2007.
We started renting studio space in orchard, and when we first started out, we only had one student learning bboying from larry, his name is young soo.


He started off by himself and slowly via word of mouth, young soo started to introduce his friends to join us and learn bboying as well.

Soon, we started to have more students learning bboying and beatboxing from us in orchard.
That is when, Larry and I decided that we should expand our team, and give opportunities to aspiring instructors, who share the same vision as us.=)


But like I say, 
It aint easy.

In order to realize this dream of ours, we needed to make a hefty sum of upfront payment in order to secure our booking in orchard.

We saved and we scrimp.
We shared a packet of nasi lemak on every thursday, saturday and sunday night after our classes. Since this is the.cheapest food in orchard.
Fast food, food that cost $3 and above was considered an luxury item=).


This went on for 2 months.
I cried, I was sad and scare because I was afraid of the unknown future, but this is when larry looked into my eyes and promise me this:
"tonight will be the last night we suffer, I promise."

I knew right away, he is a keeper.
He will be a great husband and a great father.


So from 2007 - 2009,
During this period of time, we have alot of ups and downs, we have people who will come to us, sneering at us, disturbing us, and even threatening us, telling us:
 "you guys will never make it~ look at us and look at you~ you guys are wasting your life and time." 
but at the same time, we have people who loves and support us too=)
And it is because of students and friends like them who gave baby and I the courage to continue, and spur us on whenever we feel like throwing in the white flag




Thanks to their encouragement and support, 
In year 2008
We had a plan, to have a place to call our own.

Year 2010 - 2012.

After a year of meticulous planning, baby and I  finally gotten a place of our own.
Yup, you guess it right=)
Natasha studio was located at clarke quay, the central.



We were what most people will say, its a small fishbowl.
We knew this wasn't the perfect space, it was only 300 square feet, not big at all.
But this was what we could only afford back then.
And at least, this is a place for those close to us to call it a home.=)
Especially for larry and i, we have alot of memories here.













However, throughout the years at clarke quay, what baby and I would heard everyday without fail is, 
"this studio is so small like a fishtank."
"this studio is smaller than my house toilet."
"small studio has got no credentials."

We tried our best to explain and educate the members of the public, that each and everyone of our instructors credential, however human are weak, they only see what is on the surface and without learning, they start to judge.
We tried our best to ask from the management a year later, if we could get a bigger space but unfortunately, we are being rejected.

And the search for our next home begin again.

Year 2013 - present

We finally found the perfect home.=)
After going thru so many ups and down, 
Having an overwhelming of supports from families and friends,

Natasha Studio was reborn.





We have rented an 1600sqft worth of space.
We finally say goodbye to the small fishbowl and shifted to a bigger fishtank.






We still have people coming to us, telling us, we are not good enough, big enough & happening enough.

I just wanna say a big thank you for giving us all these feedback throughout the years=)
Cuz we would not have improve if it is not for your comments.=)

From nothing to something.

Yes we are still struggling , but I strongly believe with the support, love and help render from everyone of you, we will be able to make it thru.=)

"Nobody say it gonna be easy."

Like the title say :
"一路走来,还好有你。”
老公,谢谢你,从来没有放弃过我们。
朋友们, 亲戚们,谢谢你们这些年的支持。

It hasn't been easy,
Thank you dearest, for not giving up on us.
Thank you families and friends, for your support all these years.=)
Let's continue to make Natasha Studio a home , a place to share your vision, your dreams and your goal.

Till next time=)

www.iamichellenatasha.blogspot.com
www.natashastudio.com
www.facebook.com/natashastudio










4 comments:

  1. Daniel here, from bboy recital last year, not the Daniel Onice but the Daniel from SMU, haha, don't know if you remember me, but.. Just want to say thank you Michelle and Larry for Natasha Studio! :)

    Honestly, I started out dancing at Natasha studio when it was first at Orchard, and had my first class there, before subsequently coming back at City square mall. Without Natasha studio then, I don't even know if I will be dancing now.

    Larry really encouraged a lot of us when we were just starting out on dance, and despite everything, he always believed in us. Having him as a teacher really taught me a lot about dance, respecting your seniors, always being humble and keep learning, and having fun at the same time! :)

    Initially I thought it was an easy task, running a studio, but from what I saw at the recital trainings, all the late nights, and hardwork, it is definitely not a mean feat! :) And though it is definitely not easy, just want to say that by choosing this path and dream, its really inspiring for all of us who grow up thinking about traditional work and corporate life as the way to success. :)

    Will definitely be back in the Holidays to take more classes! Till then, jia you jia you jia you, I definitely believe that Natasha Studio will continue to excel, keep growing and contribute to the scene! :) Jia you Michelle and Larry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember u!=)
    Da niu!=)=)

    Thank you for the support and couragement!=)
    You guys are really the reasom, why we are still here!=)
    Let's catch up soon ok?=)=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniel OnIce here, also from the bboy recital item last year, ^^ I first joined Natasha Studio back in late 2011 2-3 months before enlisting into the army. Back then I wasn't so sure if I'd be able to catch the steps cause I was always a slow learner and used to take lesson at o school.

    I got to know Vicky Lee at scape one day and she told me a lot about the studio at clark quey so I decided to go check it out myself and to my surprise it was really a tiny studio but the feeling of being in NS was so different as compared to learning from other places. I could feel a lot of passionate dancers who were really hungry for passion and not just going for classes and going home.

    Surprisingly it motivated me to practice after classes and Larry is an inspirational/fun/loving/kind teacher who is patient too! And up to today, I'd put some of the things I've learnt at Natasha Studio into ice skating which is really awesome. And I never regret spending time learning bboying no matter how slow I pick things up. *no talent in dance, must put a lot of hardwork XD*

    If it wasn't for Nastasha studio, I'd would have a different perspective of the dance scene in Singapore, but I'm really happy that I got to know the friends I've made and the wonderful dance lessons that I took while I was in army during the weekends.

    I'll also be back during my holidays to take more classes!!!, <3 Natasha Studio a lot! you guys are like the blood of my dance passion, Thanks again Michelle, Larry and the Crew!!! Keep growing and spread the love for dance!!

    One Love, One World, One Peace, One Unity, One Legacy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you daniel for the.encouragment!=)
    And btw,
    You are very talent, you are too humble=)=)

    Haha we will see u soon ok?=)
    Till then, jiayou!=)

    ReplyDelete